Will my insurance cover me for items stolen from my car?


Q My car was broken into and a number of personal items and my phone were stolen. I made a claim with my auto insurance company. But they said the stolen items – a fitness machine, jacket, my phone, and my purse – were not covered. Only radio equipment and satellite navigation were covered by the content. Is it possible to get coverage for personal items as part of your auto insurance?

A Keeping your car and its contents safe is becoming more and more demanding as thieves and criminals develop new ways of accessing vehicles. It might seem obvious, but we can often forget to put gadgets and items out of sight when we leave our cars, which then act as magnets for passing opportunists, according to Deirdre McCarthy, head of MissCitation.fr. Many full policies provide some coverage for content, but this is usually not part of third-party policies and often does not cover personal items such as cash, cards, maybe tools, or stock if you use your car for business purposes. . Your policy document will provide details of what is covered and what is excluded, Ms. McCarthy said. Policies also often include conditions related to the placement or location of objects in the car, whether they are on display or locked away. Anything that is left in plain sight is unlikely to be covered by your insurer.

Q I am due to meet with my financial broker soon to discuss my pension. I have two pensions which expire in nine years. Are there questions I should ask to make sure my pension is on track?

A Getting regular retirement advice is an important part of staying on track with your investments. Advice is also important to make sure you maintain the right level of risk for the stage you are at in building your fund and to ensure that you don’t pay unnecessary additional fees or charges. According to Mark Reilly, Head of Retirement Proposals at Royal London, getting reliable retirement advice at regular intervals over the years can have a significant impact on your overall fund, rather than just speaking with a financial broker when you start. The main questions that many ask are: What are the results of my investments and am I investing enough? It’s important to regularly monitor the fund’s performance to ensure that your money is doing its best for you and that you will reach your target fund size when you retire, added Reilly. As you try to keep track of two policies, ask if there are any benefits to grouping them together to make them more manageable.

Q A few years ago my wife and I bought shares in IAWS (now Aryzta). As this company had a dire record, these stocks are now almost worthless. We want to sell them just to realize the capital loss and to offset that with other stock gains. These shares are no longer traded on the Irish Stock Exchange and are now only traded on the Swiss market. This requires us to open an account with a stockbroker authorized to trade on the Swiss market. I suspect this will entail substantial costs. In order to crystallize the loss and make it eligible for compensation along with other stock gains, do we have to go through the process of selling these with the associated costs, or is there another way to get them? make eligible for compensation?

A Section S538 of the Taxes Consolidation Act 1997 allows you to file a claim with the tax authorities to have losses allowed for tax purposes without you actually having the shares, according to the head of consumption taxes. Taxback.com Maria Ryan. A submission should be made to the tax inspector for losses to be admitted and if the tax inspector accepts the bid, the shares are deemed to have been transferred and immediately redeemed at market value, i.e. their negligible value. To do this, the tax inspector must receive full details of the actions, supported by the relevant documentation of the circumstances in which the actions have become of negligible value. The more information and documents you provide to the inspector, the more likely you will be for relief to be granted, Ms Ryan said. However, relief will only be granted in reference to the year in which the claim is made (i.e. this year if you are claiming now).

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.